Aug. 11, 2022 – The CDC right this moment introduced that as a result of there’s now much less danger of “medically vital” COVID-19, some public well being measures the company really useful might not be essential.
For instance, CDC suggestions on social distancing, quarantining, and testing kids for COVID-19 whereas permitting them to remain at school – often known as the test-to-stay technique – might not be essential for many People. The company stated excessive ranges of immunity from vaccinations and prior infections, together with efficient therapies and instruments that stop unfold of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, prompted the motion.
However the company additionally stated individuals who know they’ve a excessive danger for extreme COVID-19 ought to proceed to follow a multi-layered method to holding themselves secure. Nicely-known methods embrace improved air flow, well-fitting masks, and testing as warranted.
The new CDC steering was revealed right this moment within the company’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.
The brand new suggestions emphasize the necessity to:
- Concentrate on methods to scale back dangers for extreme COVID-19.
- Monitor neighborhood COVID ranges to information prevention efforts.
- Give immunocompromised individuals higher entry to vaccinations and therapeutics.
- Proceed providing dependable info so individuals at greater danger know their standing.
- Guarantee individuals get examined in the event that they don’t have signs and isolate for five days or longer when contaminated.
“COVID-19 stays an ongoing public well being menace,” the CDC COVID-19 Emergency Response Staff members stated within the new suggestions.
“Nevertheless, excessive ranges of vaccine- and infection-induced immunity and the supply of medical and nonpharmaceutical interventions have considerably lowered the danger for medically vital sickness, hospitalization, and demise from COVID-19.”